Some people think that January is depressing. After all the excitement of the holidays, the sometimes cold and dreary days can feel like a let down. Not for us! There is always something going on that make us glad to be in North East! Here is a list of our favorite things around the Grape Arbor!
1. January is the PA Farm Show that features everything agricultural in the state–including wine and beer. The list of winners makes me smile–there are many from North East–Mazza Vineyards was awarded Best of Show for Dessert/Sweet Wine–their Ice Wine of Vidal Blanc. Other local wineries garnering Gold and Silver Medals were Presque Isle Winery, Arrowhead Winery, Courtyard Winery, Heritage Wine Cellars!
2. I love the downtown decorations in North East! They have been updated on the new light poles, so driving into downtown is so well lit and cheerful. There have also been some lights and wreaths added on the railway underpass when you come into town via Rte. 89.
3. I hadn’t been there for a while…but revisited Brazill’s on Main in Westfield NY for my birthday. My favorite appetizer is still on the menu (fried artichokes)! The menu has a number of choices–several steaks, a couple of fish, pork, and a vegan choice. There were also some tempting specials. I had seared scallops, and they were cooked to perfection! And..for dessert…they have Portage Pie which I have raved about on more than one occasion! The atmosphere is upscale, but comfortable.
4. And while I was in Westfield, a couple of new places have opened that are worth exploring, including The Living Room Wine Bar around the corner from Brazills. I have had some great glasses of wine there! Across the street is Grace and Abe’s with wood fired pizzas, craft beer and cocktails. I have had their food at some functions, but haven’t visited the restaurant…yet!
5. Why is it that all year, I have seen so few movies that I want to see, and then, all of a sudden–more than I could possibly see! I know that the easy answer is the Oscar season..but it doesn’t seem fair. Every year for the past several years, I have purchased a pass and spent a week watching every nominee for best picture. This year…I am trying to head it off at the pass, and see the movies ahead of the nominations. So far I have seen Cats (not anywhere near as bad as the reviews), Little Women (as good as the reviews say), and Knives Out (also very good).
Hope to see you soon! We are going to make this list a monthly thing..