What are our favorite things to do and think about in March? Read on, as we muse about the best things about living in Lake Erie Wine Country here at Grape Arbor!
- Although I use it and eat it all year, March is when I see the lines in the woods gathering up all of the wonderful maple sap for maple syrup. We use it for so much here–cookies, scones, bread as well as topping for Buttermilk Pancakes, waffles, or french toast. We get our locally, only about 15 miles away.
- Those of you who have used our wonderful Becca for massage services, may have noticed her husband working at his computer while she is busy with guests. There was an amazing story about our friend Rick in our local paper, who was adopted as a tiny baby after being found in the snow. He has worked for several years, and finally tracked down his birth parents (now deceased) in Canada. It is a fascinating story about black market babies and DNA testing services.
- Every year, I try and visit all of the wineries to see what is new and different. This year, because both Liz and April aren’t totally familiar with the wineries, I have been taking them with me when I can. On our trip to Presque Isle Wine Cellars I found that had some new additions that I really liked–some that were blended in honor of their founder, Douglas Moorhead. So go check them out–especially the Saudade (a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot), the Harbinger (a blend of Zweigelt, Regent and Dornfelder) and Ripper Red (Australian Shiraz and Noiret blend).
- I was super excited to find fresh rhubarb at the grocery store! It is one of my favorite things to cook with, so you can be sure that people have been seeing muffins and all sorts of rhubarb goodies on their plates. I cannot wait until my own patch in the courtyard is up and producing! I did publish one of my favorite rhubarb recipes…Rhubarb Streusel Muffins! Full of tart bits of fresh rhubarb and a yummy oatmeal streusel on the top–even people who think they don’t like rhubarb (and who is that?!) love these muffins!
- So even if the weather is variable at best, it is great to be able to go and listen to live music locally. Both the Skunk and Goat Tavern and Arundel Cellars have several nights a week of music. What fun on a Friday night or Sunday afternoon!
There are the five for March!