Get out of the house! The weather here just off of Lake Erie has been spectacular, so take a few days, visit us here at Grape Arbor and stretch your legs. Here are five fun things that you can do right now:
1. Anyone who knows me knows that I will always put this first…go for a bike ride! I love riding my bike here! Just last night I went for my favorite bike ride, which I described in this previous blog–the views, the smells, the sounds of birds…I just love it! I checked out the cherry trees to see if they were ready for picking (not quite yet), rode past the Octagonal Barn, and then debated if I wanted to stop for ice cream at the Straw Hat. The decision was already made…I didn’t bring any money..so I slowly pedaled on past.
Sometimes, I take a detour and stop at the beach, just to check out the lake up close. And sometimes I go to
2. Presque Isle State Park! You can bike here, hike here, bring a chair and hang out on the beach here. There are lots of places to do all these things–nice and flat with a great breeze from the lake. Did you know that Presque Isle is the one of the most visited state parks in Pennsylvania? And if you visit, the place you are supposed to go to eat is Sara’s just minutes from the park.
3. Bring your canoe or kayak and get out on the water! You can do it at Presque Isle, or even at our local Freeport Beach .I am a bit of a chicken, and am nervous about going out on the lake, so I take my kayak to Eaton Reservoir and paddle around there, or even Findley Lake. If you are at Findley Lake, stop at Alexanders for a bite and a great view of the lake. Both Eaton Reservoir and Findley Lake are great for walking around, as well.
On my bucket list is to kayak on Lake Chautauqua!
4. Go for a drive! Since Chautauqua Institute’s summer season was cancelled, you can drive into the institute and walk around without paying. The Victorian cottage never cease to amaze me. And on your way, stop off at a couple of wineries!
5. Or make a reservation and go visit Panama Rocks! It is fun to climb around the rocks and poke into all the hidden places. To get an idea of what it is like, check out this video!and then bop over to Bemus Point, at the end of Lake Chautauqua and have a beer at Ellicottville Brewing the view is amazing!
So there are actually more than five ideas of great things to do around us.